Turmeric is known for its notorious staining property. But you’ll be surprised by how it can instantaneously whiten your teeth.
Teeth Whitening and Turmeric
Whiter teeth are obviously more appealing to look. They are a sign of good health and great oral hygiene. A set of pearly whites give off a great impression to others, be it during a date, or even a job interview.
People flock to the dentist to get their teeth bleached. This is not a natural remedy. In fact, it is not healthy for you.
Bleaching leads to the thinning of tooth enamel. This is why so many people often experience sensitivity in their teeth after bleaching. Similar things happen with using artificial products such as whitening strips and gels.
Turmeric is often used for skin whitening. It can be used to whiten teeth as well. It has properties that promote better oral hygiene. Turmeric has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and is famous for being a great non-abrasive whitener.
How to Use Turmeric To Whiten Teeth
Below is the recipe for the turmeric paste that you will use to whiten your teeth.
- 4 tablespoons of organic turmeric root powder
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2.5 tablespoons of organic coconut oil
1. Add dry ingredients to a small bowl. Mix well.
2. Add coconut oil. Use a fork to mash the ingredients together until you have a thick, cohesive, orange paste.
3. Should be able to store indefinitely but the ingredient amounts should last for roughly 20 uses.
Precautions Before Using The Paste:
Turmeric is yellow in colour and can easily stain anything that it gets on to. That is, except your teeth, of course.
Before using the paste, make sure you use a different toothbrush for this purpose. Keep your normal toothbrush separately for conventional brushing purposes.
If you have a white sink/wash basin, take extra precautions while using the paste. Try your best not to drop the paste directly into it. A metal sink would be a better option.
Take off your jewellery and valuables, and change into clothes that you can afford to stain (by mistake, obviously).
Using The Paste
Now that you have made the paste and have taken precautions, it is time for you to whiten your teeth!
- Put some of the paste in a small bowl. Take a sip of it into your mouth. Do NOT swallow it.
- Move it around in your mouth for a couple of seconds.
- Take your second toothbrush and brush your teeth while the paste is still in your mouth.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth a few times.
The paste doesn’t have the most pleasant taste. So, you can follow it up with some regular toothpaste. But remember to use your normal toothbrush for this.
Turmeric causes staining. It will not stain your teeth. But you may observe some minor staining around your mouth. This will usually disappear in a day or two.
Click here for a video explanation of the process.
Teeth become yellow usually due to stains. This natural remedy will help this. But teeth can also become yellow, if your enamel layer wears off. The layer below the enamel is yellow in colour. In this case, this remedy may help but it is better if you see a dentist to avoid further damage.